Monday, July 7, 2008

train to Nanjing

The train from Shangihai to Nanjing was wonderful but the train station was amazing! I was given complete oral directions and sent in a cab as leader of the pack. To the cab stand, up the ecalator, past the iron bars where you show your ticket, through the x-ray security, up more escalators, find the waiting room for the train number. "Waiting Room" does not begin to describe this! Imagine July 4 on the lakefront only in orderly rows by train numbered section. When the sign on your section turns from red to green the crush through one tiny turnstyle begins and somehow we all come out on the right platform and get on the train. The ability to move mass numbers of people in an orderly way - not to say without pushing, that is - astounds me. Tonight we are in Nanjing which I love more than Shanghai - but that might be the section we are in. Very new and safe, wide plazas and lots of people out walking. I only have 2 hours access for 4 days at this hotel so I'll be brief and probably not even spell check! But we are here safely and it is really beginning!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Catching up today on the blog. So far so good. You are safe and there. Hope you are eating well. We were hoping to see you along the parade route, but sounds like you were looking for the right list on your beds to find your way. I'll check in every once in a while. Let me if you need anything from here or what stories I can share from this end.

Hope you enjoy your new friend Cadi. Kim and I love Minneapolis. We started going to Shepard of the Valley in Apple Valley, MN when we lived there. A huge church, I am sure Cadi has heard of...

Anyway, keep the stories coming.